You are part of a preschool board that has just been awarded a large grant to design a new preschool in your area. This is a tremendously exciting and daunting task, and you are very glad to have the other members of your board to work with as a team on this project! The institution awarding the grant has asked that you design an alternative preschool and you have one week to put together a presentation to address the following areas and secure the next phase of your grant:
1. First, your team will need to decide upon a guiding philosophy for your program. You are free to choose any model(s) from the following list (all found in your textbook):
- Vygotsky (apprentices/scaffolding)
- Sternberg (successful intelligence)
- Gardner (multiple intelligence)
- Head Start
- extrinsic motivation and “lessons for teachers” p. 224-6
Use your textbook as a starting point and then find at least three other sources on this model/theory. After doing all this research, summarize your school’s guiding philosophy . What wisdom or research will guide your teachers? What do you hope students will take away from your program? How is this program different from a traditional preschool do you imagine? Remember to properly cite and give credit for direct quotes and paraphrased material.